5 Uses For
1 month ago aebi Comments Off on 5 Uses For
Top Reasons for Using Stormwater Management
Stormwater management aims to reduce and channel melted snow or rainwater runoff from streets and homes for the improvement of water quality. Also, it helps reverse the bad effects of rural and urban stormwater flooding which are caused by different human activities and agriculture.
The water that comes from the melted ice, snow, and rain is called stormwater. Naturally, the stormwater evaporates or infiltrates to the ground. For instance, in forests, the soil absorbs significant amounts of stormwater. The plants even hold considerable amounts, which results to little runs off.
In addition, the plants and other components in the forest help slow down the runoff, that ensures the water goes underground or to the rivers. However, in urban areas plants can be hardly found and surfaces and pavements constructed don’t allow the water to go underground. This will then result to increased surface runoff. When this happens, stormwater management becomes necessary. This helps reduce melted snow or rainwater runoff from the streets and houses. This leads to a better water quality and preventing harmful chemicals, bacteria, heavy metals and others to drain into the streams, rivers, lakes, and oceans.
To help you better understand what stormwater management is, below are things that show its real importance.
– First, it maintains the natural hydrologic cycle. Stormwater management has a great impact on maintaining the streams, rivers, lakes, and aquatic life to be healthy. It even supports human uses through the maintenance of the natural hydrologic cycle. Failure of stormwater management results to decreased infiltration causing less groundwater recharge and soil replenishment.
Additionally, this helps replenish underground water to ensure that everybody has enough water for agricultural and domestic purposes.
– Stormwater management can help prevent flood. It has been found out that areas where stormwater management is properly valued have lower risks of being flooded, making them safe from the flood and its negative effects.
In urban areas where vegetation is less, then they will most likely to experience flood. Fortunately, proper management techniques can be used.
– Undesirable stream erosion is prevented. Stormwater management can help stop excessive erosion by reducing the amount and speed of the water going to the stream. Once the stormwater is not properly management excessive erosion can be experienced.
In addition, the absence of stormwater management can great affect the livelihood of the community. For instance, if a stream is flooded, then it can break its banks and spill the water to the farm causing the crops to be destroyed.
– Stormwater management can help protect water quality. This helps ensure the quality of the water. Contaminants like oil, grease, plastic, metals, and pesticides slowly build up on the surface. Once the stormwater is not properly managed, then it can bring the contaminants to different water sources like groundwater, streams, lakes, and oceans.
– Finally, it can help prevent soil erosion. Stormwater creates an impact on the productivity of the agricultural lands. Also, it can carry the manure from plants which can lower the farm’s productivity. Once not properly managed, the the stormwater runs to the sloppy areas caused soil erosion to happen.